COMHAIRLE CONTAE ÁTHA CLIATH THEAS
SOUTH DUBLIN COUNTY COUNCIL
MEETING OF LUCAN AREA COMMITTEE
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
MOTION NO. 1
MOTION: Councillor L. O’Toole
“That this Area Committee requests the Chief Executive to inform this Committee on its intention with the building on the Newcastle Road (adjacent to Lucan Sarsfield’s) when the road works are completed and to discuss the option of making it available to Lucan Sarsfield’s who currently have 145 teams and are struggling to accommodate all these teams. The premises would also be able available to other groups as Lucan Sarsfield’s has a history of subletting and offering their existing premises to community groups such as Mens Shed, etc.”
The motion is somewhat premature pending a full examination of the wider 12th lock area on completion of the R120 works. It would be prudent to examine the strategic potential for any Council property in this area for the following reasons.
- As the members are aware, a 12th lock masterplan was published March 2013 which contained objectives in relation to the overall development and management of the 12th lock area.
- In addition, the R120 CPO also initiated the purchase of land in the vicinity of the 12th lock for the purposes of realigning the road.
- SDCC has also had approaches from other interested parties in relation to what lands might in the future be deemed to be excess to the requirements of the road footprint.
- The members will also be aware that the Grand Canal Greenway currently ends at 12th Lock. It is an objective of the Council to continue this greenway to Hazelhatch thus linking into Arthurs Way and other walking / cycling routes.
- The 12th Lock represents an area which is contiguous to both the Clonburris SDZ and the Grange Castle Business Park with connectivity to Griffeen Valley Park and Corkaigh Park.
- South Dublin is engaged with significant stakeholders in the area, such as Waterways Ireland, with a view to a strategic overall approach.
- In view of the specific building mentioned – the building is currently in use as a compound for construction vehicles. The building is not currently fit for use for any kind of community use and would require major capital expenditure in order to make is suitable for any kind of sports / community use. It is likely that this use will continue for the foreseeable future. The building is not currently serviced.
- Waterways Ireland are currently leading on the overall co-ordination of the delivery of a Dublin Canal Greenway from 12th lock on the Royal Canal to 12th lock on the Grand Canal incorporating Lucan Village and the inclusion of the 12th Lock Grand Canal as part of the Dublin / Shannon Greenway. Discussions are currently taking place with Waterways Ireland and neighbouring local authorities to increase accessibility and open up the canal network as a recreational and tourism resource.
- COMHAIRLE CONTAE ÁTHA CLIATH THEAS
SOUTH DUBLIN COUNTY COUNCIL